Wente Scout Reservation
Wente Scout Reservation, 5401 Canyon Road, Willits, CA 95490 San Francisco Bay Area Council-BSA, 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577 | PH: 510.577.9000 email: info@wentescoutreservation.org | www.wentescoutreservation.org
Copyright © San Francisco Bay Area Council, All Rights Reserved
Terminology Description 95490 Postal Code for Wente Scout Reservation $70,000 Dollars Purchase price of the Scout Reservation property in 1959 from Thomas Foley for 1928 acres. 1.4 Million Board feet Amount of lumber that was harvested at Wente during 1985 3 Amigos Group of Alumni Staff Members that return to camp each year for construction projects 5401 Canyon Rd Physical Address for Wente Scout Reservation 2,088 Acres Current amount of acreage at camp, originally 1,928 acres, increased to 2,088 when 160 additional acres purchased in 1971 Action Archery Archery competition between staff Admin Building Original building constructed by the Rotary Club of San Leandro in 1963 Adventurer’s Gorge Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker (518 Meter) from 1977, located near rocky area at end of Scout Creek. Aquatics Camp Special week long camp at end of normal camping season (c 1965 – 1981) Badger Construction Group of volunteers who are construction workers who build things around camp Bear Mountain Name of the ridge on the southern border of the camp Beaver Point US Geodetic survey Marker Benson Trek Name of a 60 mile hike from camp to Fort Bragg Big Dipper Campsite, site is number 1 one of the seven originals Big Jim Tall Douglas fir tree next to Nature area. Also part of original Kali-Ama trail Marker (597 meter) Black Oak Point Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker (587 Meter) from 1977, located near picnic area across lake from waterfront Blackberry Springs Natural spring at base of Eagle summit on North-West side. Produced about 6 gallons of WPM. After logging operations in 1985 the \ flow was reduced to zero. Boogeyman Trail Mountain Bike Trail from Old Bogeyman to Family Camp area Bridges Trail Mountain Bike trail near road on south side of lake Brownsea II Training course held at Wente Scout Reservation from 1976 until 1990’s Buddy Tag This is the tag that is attached to the buddy board to indicate you are in the water Building 32 Warehouse by the ranger’s house, named by Troop 32 because they did the cement pad Bull of the Woods Fifth year camper Camp A Original name of the main camping area at Wente Scout Reservation Camp B Proposed camping area at Wente on West side of Eagle Summit (c 1963) Camp C Proposed camping area on East side of Eagle Summit (c 1963) Camp C Kybo Wilderness Kybo built in 1960’s at the Camp C Troop 9 campsite Camp Kali-Ama This was the name selected by a committee in 1977 to name the Scout Reservation. It is Pomo Indian word, Kali means “sky” and Ama means “earth” Camp Loomer Oakland Area Council camp from 1957 until 1973. Camp located in Pollock Pines Campsites, 14 Number of tent campsites (2000), 7 in 1964, 9 in 1969, 12 in 197, 13 in 1989, 14 in 2010 Carl F. Wente Carl Frederick Wente, 1889 - 1971, Board member SF Council, President Bank of America Cedar Savage Second year camper Choker Setter First year camper CIT Counselor in Training Critter of Week Scouts that bring in reptiles for end of week judging Davis Chapel Name of the original Chapel built on the hill next to the campfire area in 1963 Dimond-W Campsite below Turkey’s Roost. Named in honor of former camps Dimond and Dimond-O. , part of the Loomer Subcamp camping area Distance, 150 Miles Distance camp is located from the Council Office in San leandro Diving Dock Original name for the floating swim platform as it used to have a diving board Double T-Dock Name of the Boat dock as it looks like a double T from space Dybeck Rock Rock outcropping at dam next to spillway Eagle Summit Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker (757 meter) from 1977, Highest point in camp, visible from lakefront El Toro Type of small two-man sailboat used at from 1964 to 1979 Elf Forest Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker (600 meter) from 1977, located near western most point in camp past Gilwell field F-Dock Name of the Swim doc as it looks like an F from space Finbar O’Riley A great lumberjack from the days of the Finney Valley Lumber Co Finney Valley Name of the valley where the camp is located, name goes back to at least 1910 when Henry Ford was born on the property Finney Valley Award Fire Trail sub camp Camping area containing campsites Sky High, Madrone, Moss Shadows, and Sunrise Ridge. Flavor Shots shots of snow cone syrup Foley Ranch Original name of the property that was purchased for Wente Scout Reservation. Thomas Foley owner Fomo Corporation Name of the lumber company that occupied the meadow area before the property was purchased by the Scouts Fool’s Gold Boulder Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977, located below 12 O’Clock high. Forestry Camp Specialty camp at end of normal camping season Gallons, 522 Million Approximate amount of water in lake when at full capacity of 1600 Acre feet with a surface area of 80 acres. Gauntlet Trail Mountain Bike trail connecting old black powder to Madrone Ghost along Ghost Kali-Ama OoooooOOoOoooOoooh Gilwell Field Name of the large meadow next to Oak Flats campsite Gunboats Ice Cream blowout for staff on Wednesday nights. What you don’t eat, you Wear! Gunner Camp Dog (c 2008) Handicraft Building First structure built at Willits Scout Reservation. Originally used as the Commissary/Trading post until 1971. From 1971 until 2008 the building was used as the warehouse. The Rotary Club of Oakland financed and constructed the building in 1962. Harry Ford First known individual to be born in Finney Valley in 1911 to a Pioneer Family. Possibly the Ranch House is were the family lived. Haunted Springs Natural Spring on South side of Eagle summit near old Pear Orchard. Originally produced about 6 gallons of water per minute. The spring water fed into a small pond which then fed into a wooden spring box. Originally known as Pear Orchard springs when property was purchased in 1959. Herbert Hauser Flag Pole Camp Flag pole in honor of of Herbert Hauser, long time Scouter in the Oakland Area Council from 1916 to 1960’s History Of Pie Throwing Long running skit at Friday night campfire I Went to Wente Camp song 1997-present Jamboree Style Cooking Patrol style cooking method done in campsite Joe Lamalfa Inc Ukiah company that constructed the dam at the Scout Reservation. Dimensions of the dam are 290 long by 320 wide at its broadest point Kali-Ama Trail Hiking trail developed by Joe Clopton and Kevin Clevenger in 1977 King Kali-Ama Trail a more advanced Kali-Ama you can do after completing the Kali-Ama King Skunk Mascot of camp, first used in 1976 Lake Loop 2 Trail Mountain Bike trail around the lake with focus on staying in the shade and redwoods Lake Loop Trail Mountain Bike trail around the lake Lake View Quarry Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977, located at south east end of lake on highside Lake Winawa official name of the Scout lake selected by a committee in 1977 and approved by the president of the board. Winawa is a Pomo Indian word for “friendly”. Laser Type of sailboat used on Lake Legacy of Stick on String Seventh year camper Legend of Finney Valley Sixth year camper Little Dipper Campsite, site is number 8 Logger’s Shanty Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977, located near camp entrance, remnants of old shanty Lone Redwood Mountain Bike trail that connects Rifle and Archery, then to Mountain Biking Loomer Subcamp Area Camping area containing the campsites Oak Flats, Turkey’s Roost, Dimond-W and 12:00 High. The Camp Loomer sign located in the campsite is the original entrance sign to the former camp in Pollock Pines Mace Property In 1969, the SFBAC purchased from Kenneth Mace 160 acres of land that was within the confines of the Scout Reservation for $70K increasing the camp to 2088 acres Madrone Campsite 5, one of the seven original campsites, part of the Fire Trail subcamp camping area Madrone Giant Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977, located near southwest corner of camp. Large Madrone tree. Madrone Shower House Shower house and toilet facilities next to the Handicraft building Meander Trail Mountain Biking Trail in north east camp Medics Cabin Name of the cabin in family camp area where the medics would stay Meditation Place Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977 Mellow Marsh Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977 Mendocino County County the camp is located Mike Hannah Ranger, Wente Scout Reservation (2012-present) Mistletoe Mountain Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977 Moss Shadows Campsite, site is number 6 one of the seven originals, part of the Fire Trail subcamp camping area Mountain Lion Domain Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977 Newts Retreat Original Kali-Ama Trail Marker from 1977 North Shore Park Mountain biking course with obstacles like boardwalks, seesaws, and log rides
Wente Scout Reservation San Francisco Bay Area Council, Boy Scouts of America